If you ever feel that losing weight is the most frustrating thing in the world, you’re not alone. It can bring about all of the worst feelings you could ever possibly have about yourself…not feeling confident, capable, wondering what’s wrong with you, wanting to give up but not able to because you can’t stand the way you feel in your clothes or being out of breath when you go up the stairs…
I get it. In fact, I just shared something with my clients that I want to share with you too.
Here are 5 critical things you need to know when it comes to weight loss:
1. Weight loss isn’t magical, it’s methodical. It’s the consistency of actions, day in and day out, that create the change. This is huge…so many women suffer emotionally when they don’t see a change on the scale yet that change is created by making good choices every single day (not just when it’s easy or when you feel like doing it).
2. Losing 5lbs can feel like *the* most frustrating thing in the world if there’s a dip in consistency. The best way to create consistency is to uplevel your thinking. What does that mean? It means instead of thinking about a weight loss journey as being hard or that you’re going to live life feeling deprived you start to think about how GOOD you’re going to feel, how fun getting dressed will be, how much energy you’re going to have. Losing 5 lbs the right way can take about a month…it’s up to you to keep your motivation high!
3. Knowing what to do isn’t enough, it’s doing it and allowing the energy around the actions to feel GOOD. Like, “It felt good to say no to the Oreo’s today” instead of “Ohhhh, I’m so deprived…”.
It’s not the knowledge that creates the change (although in our confusing $70 billion dieting culture having the right knowledge is critical when it comes to weight loss), it’s the implementation of that knowledge and practicing it. It’s kind of like yoga. You can know about yoga but it’s very different to have a yoga practice and DO yoga. Right?
4. The difference between giving this goal 50% of your effort vs 90% of your effort is exponential. When you get truly honest with yourself and rate your weight loss efforts over the course of a month (not a day or three days or a week), most women give themselves a 5/10. Imagine what would happen if you could give yourself a 9/10?!!
5. It’s the little things that matter – the extra handfuls, oversized portions, sneaky forkfuls, high calorie snacks (candy, ice cream, chocolate) and liquid calories (wine, juice, pop, etc). (See the FB live I did on this in the Diet Disruption Movement FB group here). When you cut back on the things that literally stop weight loss from happening you’ll see the scale move. And it’s not about depriving yourself, it’s about making choices that allow you to create what you want most overall – a healthy, nourished, energetic way of living. And, looking hot in a pair of jeans!!
The biggest challenge women face when losing weight is letting go of the myth that they can AND should do it on their own. It’s wayyyyyy easier with help, support, accountability. If you know you’re ready, seriously apply to book a call with me. Here’s the link.